Endorsed Teacher Training
Endorsed Teacher Trainings
The OHYA wants to help the students in our community looking to find the next generation of Teacher Trainings to find the ones endorsed by OYHA. Before a teacher training is endorsed by OHYA, it is reviewed to meet the minimum standards as laid out by the categories and minimum hours below. In addition, teachers that complete these trainings are eligible to register in our OHYA Teacher Directory after completing their internship. The following trainings are endorsed by the OHYA because they meet the high standards set out by the OHYA to achieve our endorsement.
They are dedicated and focus solely on the 26 & 2 taught in the original series as taught by the series creator.
- The directors of the training are Certified Bikram Yoga teachers who have reached Level 2 and usually Level 3 status in the Original Hot Yoga Teacher directory.
- Most of the staff and leaders of lectures and/or Asana Clinic are also level 2 and level 3 teachers.
- The trainings include a minimum of 450-500 hours from categories set out by the OHYA. Including minimum hours for each category of study. Get detailed Information.
- All our trainings set out a high standard of expectations for both during and after training so teachers are highly trained to lead the original hot yoga series after completing their internship of 75 classes in 6 months to a year, and having a studio owner (registered in OHYA level 2 or 3) fill out the Certificate of Standards form.
Bikram’s Teacher Training
Anyone who has graduated or will graduate from Bikram’s Teacher Training can always register in our directory with a unique seal that delineates completing Bikram Training. For more information on Bikram’s training, go to bikramyoga.com. (OHYA is not affiliated with Bikram’s training, International headquarters, bikramhyoga.com or Bikram Choudhury) But his training will always be viewed as the gold standard and all of our senior teachers and studio owners completed his complete and extensive 9 week teacher training.
Endorsed Teacher Training
The following trainings are endorsed by OHYA For more information on their dates, pricing, and schedule, please go to their individual website and connect directly with them. *OHYA does not guarantee employment with an OHYA seal. Individual studios requirements vary for teacher trainings. Please contact individual studios for teacher training criteria and requirements.
Required Hours for Endorsed Training of the OHYA
Posture Lab and Teaching Skills (minimum 150, max 320)
These are all IN PERSON CONTACT HOURS
This category covers but is not limited to the following:
- Practicing Dialog with feedback/constructive criticism
- Learning effective use of voice, energy, inflection, projection, passion, personality etc.
- Working on technique for delivering meaningful and dialog
- Teaching therapy with the 26&2
- Modifications and benefits for those injured or limited in ability or any ranges of motion.
- Giving corrections and modifications
- Setting a good example in class
- Addressing individual needs within a group setting
- How to help new students in class
- Biomechanics of the postures in the 26&2
- Helping students who are overheated and dizzy/getting heat stroke
- CPR and Heat Exhaustion Expertise
- Yoga Therapy within the 26 postures
Anatomy and Physiology: (20-30 hours)
Often taught by expert in their field, this topic relates to the anatomy of the body and developing a basic understanding of the skeletal muscular groups and major functions and systems of the body. (A maximum of 20 non-contact hours are allowed.)
Philosophy: (0-60 hours)
Yoga Practice: (80-110 hours)
A deep understanding of the 26 & 2 series is a foundation to becoming an effective teacher. Regular practice before, during and after training are critical to development of an Original Hot Yoga Teacher.
Group Study of the Dialog (0-40 hours)
A maximum of 40 hours is allowed for an immersion training when teacher trainers spend time with their classmates learning and practicing dialog.
Personal Development/Business Development (minimum 10, max 40)
This category includes but is not limited to:
Presenting yourself professional and capably in class
Managing group dynamics for the benefit of everyone in the room
Ethics (opening studios with fair mileage, not stealing students etc)
how to sign in a class at the desk using your studios software
Importance of being part of your studios business even if you are an independent contractor
Identifying why you love to teach and practice yoga
Making sure your class is as inclusive as possible