Approved Teacher Training
OHYA Approves Teacher Trainings that meet our standards and to ensure that the next generation of Original Hot Yoga teachers are qualified and committed to offering our studios and students, high quality and effective 26 & 2 teaching. We only approve the Teacher Trainings that are committed to the standards we’ve established to create highly trained teachers that can excel and easily integrate into our studios.
In addition, the trainings approved by OHYA are committed to their graduates completing internships at their home studios and joining the OHYA Teacher Directory to show their commitment to their teaching and growth and to add this extra level of professionalism to their training. Make sure the training you are looking into has the OHYA Approved Teacher Training seal so you can join the OHYA Teacher Directory and have the support of the Original Hot Yoga Association.
If you are not sure whether the teacher training you graduated from qualifies you to register with the OHYA Teacher Directory, please email email@example.com, for clarification or more information. Some teacher training programs may qualify you to join after you complete an additional Bridge program approved by OHYA. Please email us for more information and clarification. If you are not sure if your training was approved by OHYA, ask to see the OHYA Approved Seal. If you are looking for a more local training, look at our Event Calendar tab and look for Approved Teacher Trainings.
Why Attending an OHYA Approved Training Matters
If you want your teacher training to have recognition outside your local studio, OHYA highly recommends you attend an OHYA Approved Training. The only way to join the OHYA Teacher Directory* with all their added benefits, is to attend an OHYA Approved Training. (All Certified Bikram Yoga Teacher also qualify to join.)
Your Best Option, IMMERSIVE Teacher Trainings
OHYA recommends Teacher Training that are immersive allowing you to devote your time, energy and passion to learning to teach an effective Original Hot Yoga Class and immerse yourself in the process. The following trainings are immersive trainings and the most recommended by OHYA.
Bikram’s Teacher Training
OHYA no longer recommends anyone attend Bikram’s Training and as of Nov 2019, he plans to no longer do Teacher Trainings.
Looking for Approval for your training by OHYA?
Please read below to view all the standards and hours required for approval by OHYA.
If you think your training qualifies, please email OHYA for an application at firstname.lastname@example.org. Have questions about who we approve if you are a looking for a Teacher Training? Email us at email@example.com.
We believe that every Teacher Training should be conducted in a supportive and non-threating environment. If you experience any form of sexual assault, or any other form of inappropriate contact, please contact the police and email us to file a report.
Approval for Teacher Training through OHYA
Teacher Training Standards
Please read the standards for each category below, and if your training meets the standards, please email OHYA for an application at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is a $299 non-refundable fee to process your application. Your application includes a copy of our Standardized Instruction, (Dialog), Categories for Anatomy and Physiology and Professional Development.
All our immersive trainings are listed on this page with their logo and a link to their information. Local trainings are listed on the Event page.
Before looking at the hours, please review the basic standards:
- The host studio is a member of the OHYA Studio Directory.
- The program is 100% dedicated to the 26/2 Original Hot Yoga class. (You can’t throw in Yin, or Vinyasa)
- The studio owner is a member of the OHYA Teacher Directory of Level 2 or higher, preferably Level 3 or 10 years teaching experience.
- Anyone assisting the training is an OHYA Teacher Directory member of Level 2 or higher.
- Program must be submitted to OHYA showing the minimum hours will be met including the internship and plan for graduates to join OHYA.
- Minimum standards must be met in the categories laid out by OHYA with the topics covered to meet the minimum hours. (see below)
- The instructional cueing used fits OHYA standards of instruction in the spirit of Original Hot Yoga in that it is clear, simple, and precise to allow easy integration into OHYA studios and with colleagues that teach in the original format. Any dialogue that is not the original dialogue or THE OHYA Standardized Instruction, must be approved by the OHYA Board.
Required Hours for Approved Training of the OHYA
- Posture Lab and Teaching Skills: 150 Hours*
- Anatomy & Physiology: (20-40 hours) minimum topics sent upon approval*
- Yoga Practice: (81-110 hours)*
- Professional Development (10 Hours)*
(*in person Contact Hours during training)
Internship (40 minimum hours) done at home studios to teach and receive feedback
Additional Recommended hours- can be non-contact:
Philosophy, readings, study hours, history of our linege and more
Total 260 program (contact) hours (minimum) plus Internship-300 hours minimum
Most of our programs exceed these hours.
OHYA Approved Teacher Training Code of Ethics for Leaders and Trainees
OHYA Code Of Ethics
OHYA Approved Teacher Trainings are integral to the vision of OHYA and ensure our member studios have qualified teachers for the future to carry on our lineage, and uphold our integrity and mission. To qualify and maintain status as an OHYA Approved Teacher Training, purveyors must promote and embody our Code of Ethics. Any grievances will be investigated and failure to comply or resolve will result in loss of status.
OHYA Leaders and Trainers Code Of Ethics
- OHYA does not tolerate any verbal, physical, or psychological abuse.
- OHYA Approved Teacher Training is a professional environment. We do not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, ableism, and discrimination.
- Training leaders and lead teachers must demonstrate: respect, humility, compassion, strength, and support.
- Communication and expectations must be clear and timely to help attendees successfully complete training.
- Timelines must be clear and definitive. Training leaders must designate a cut-off for registration that allows trainees sufficient time to complete pre-training study and preparation. Last-minute applications must not be accommodated.
- Training leaders will communicate expectations for graduation clearly to trainees and provide additional assistance early if there is any doubt concerning achieving commencement. Assistance can include, but is not limited to: one-on-one help, assigning a mentor, and working to determine new study techniques that will help each individual succeed. In addition, Training leaders must provide formal assessments at 50% and 75% of training commencement indicating progress toward a successful completion.
OHYA Teacher Trainee Code Of Ethics
- OHYA does not tolerate racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia, ableism, discrimination, or abuse. Trainees will uphold the OHYA Code of Ethics and treat all others with respect and courtesy.
- Trainees will do their due diligence to understand timelines and expectations of teacher training and ensure that they are prepared and equipped to complete these expectations. This includes the fortitude to complete large amounts of work, preparation, practice, and studying.
- Trainees will complete all required pre-training work, study, reading, and memorization so they can bring their best to the teacher training experience.
- Trainees will arrive at training open to constructive feedback and personal growth. Teacher training can be an incredibly transformative experience and being open with a growth mindset is the clearest path to transformation.
- Trainees will advocate for themselves and seek extra help, support, tutoring, and mentoring from training leaders when they encounter roadblocks in learning.
- Trainees will not tolerate harassment or discrimination of themselves or others, and agree to report any abuse or behavior outside of our Code of Ethics using the form below.
- Trainees will commit to learning to be a part of the success of their mentor studio. Trainees who are not on path to graduate will be given a formal written assessment and will complete the work needed to graduate.*
*Except in the case when a trainee is only auditing for their own personal growth and doesn’t intend to earn a graduation certificate or to join the OHYA Teacher Directory.
Most importantly, have fun and enjoy this unique and special time in your life to dig deep into your own personal growth by learning about yourself and how you can change the world and the lives of others lives by sharing the Original Hot Yoga Practice.
Violation of Ethics Codes-Actions and Processes
To File an Ethics complaint against an OHYA Approved Teacher Training Program, please fill out our Ethics Complaint form with a detailed account of your complaint
(link to google form goes here, then this line get deleted)
Be prepared to offer the following information:
- Your name
- Name of the Approved Teacher Training Program, Program Location, and the LEAD teacher in charge of the program
- What is the Ethics code violation being reported. Please include as many specific details as possible to understand and evaluate your complaint.
- Please describe the facts of the Ethics Code violation and include any written documentation that supports the complaint.
- Please provide your best contact number should we need to discuss the information provided.
- Please note: Any complaint will be shared with the training program, unless you specifically ask for privacy for 30 days. After that, if needed, complaints will be shared with the training.
Ethics Complaint Process
OHYA will take all complaints seriously. OHYA will contact you with questions and clarifications and then call the training to discuss the situation. If there is any miscommunication, OHYA will work to help resolve issues. If the reported issue cannot be resolved, the issue will be brought to the board of OHYA for discussion and possible termination of Approved Teacher Training status.
**Please note, OHYA is not involved in collecting money from or for teacher training and we have no involvement in a teacher training’s refund process or policy. We can assist in mediating reasonable complaints regarding refunds if our Code of Ethics has been breached.